Three Windows

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
the stranger
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Three Windows

Post by the stranger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 am

I see you and
you see me
we see each other
togetheralone
in this pellucid
symmetry
breached with
endless reflections
I seeing you and
you seeing me.

Macavity
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Re: Three Windows

Post by Macavity » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 am

hi TS

I felt that endless undermined the precision of symmetry, but then you have used the word breached.

best

mac

Luce
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by Luce » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 am

Hey TS,

I like this little poem a lot. The neat, concise format and the repetition of the "e" sound, throughout the poem, suits the piece perfectly. Oddly enough, even though it lacks any concrete imagery, I didn't miss it. I was too busy trying to untangle the thing - in a good way. :D

You do need a space between "together" and "alone". I'm also wondering if reversing the order of the pronouns would be better for the ending For example:

"you seeing me
and I seeing you"

Luce

the stranger wrote:I see you and
you see me
we see each other
togetheralone
in this pellucid
symmetry
breached with
endless reflections
I seeing you and
you seeing me.
"She acts like summer, walks like rain." - Train

JJWilliamson

Post by JJWilliamson » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 am

I think this is great. The title is everything, because without it you'd be left with not much.
With it you have a tantalising piece, which reminds me of two strangers on a train.

There's also the possibility that this is a relationship poem, but I much prefer my interp'. :lol:

Best

JJ
the stranger wrote:I see you and
you see me
we see each other
togetheralone
in this pellucid
symmetry
breached with
endless reflections
I seeing you and
you seeing me.
Long time a child and still a child

Vox

Post by Vox » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Very good.

I'm a newby to both the forum and poetry so will be studying the forum users work.

sleepystupid

Post by sleepystupid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:19 am

i really liked this- to be honest my exposure to poetry is currently limited, and these types of short poems have quickly piqued my interest. they represent to me a fundamental challenge of poetry, to express a complex idea and emotion with the least amount of words.

a question for the experts: assuming that "togetheralone" is intentional, what would this technique or device be called? I have used this type of visual manipulation in my writing before, but id like to learn more about the proper usage of it if any.

thanks!

camus
antispam: no

Post by camus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

Thanks for your input guys, glad this worked as it should, even if it probably didn't!

JJ,

Spot on. It is indeed about two strangers on a train. More specifically two strangers on two separate trains. I guess I tried to capture the idea of loneliness in a crowd(ed) place, which just happened to be permeated with loud drunken football fans (I'm not good with noise) and neither apparently was the other person. And I do find trains to have an air of melancholy about them.

Luce, sleepystupid,

Re "togetheralone" It was indeed intentional. I'm a fan of Roger McGough (many people aren't) and he uses this technique in quite a few of his poems. I used it to outline the essence (as previously mentioned) of being alone in a crowd. It's a quirky thing that may not even work, but I like it.

I suppose it's close to a "Portmanteau" which is a linguistic blend of words, although it may have another term, if so, I'm unaware of it.

Vox,

Thanks and welcome. I've been around for a looong time, but don't pop in nearly enough as i should. I've had writers block for far too long and only seem to cobble something together when I've "had a few" But I will say this is still a wonderful place, full of wonderful poets, you could do far worse, there are some god-awful forums out there!

Mac,
I felt that endless undermined the precision of symmetry, but then you have used the word breached.
Yes, it wasn't supposed to, but once I got into it I couldn't get out! As Luce commented: "I was too busy trying to untangle the thing"

Me too!

Thanks all
TS
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk

camus
antispam: no

Post by camus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Oh for newbies, i just replied (by mistake) via my pseudonym. Actually "The Stranger" is my pseudonym.

I found I could write a different style of poetry if I used another name. A psychological approach, but it did work at some point.
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk