antispam: no

Re: Sestina Workshop

Post by Suzanne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 pm

I can.
Mod is a tough job.

Nash

Post by Nash » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks Suzanne and well said Ray, Ros and Ian.

Ros wrote:I still think, overall, we're the best forum out there
Absolutely.

Ros wrote:Maybe we should draw this to a close.
Hear, hear.

Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Post by Pauline » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

OK Nash.
You obviously didn't read what I said.
I clearly stated that your post was not a pop at Gavin,
you don't have to say it twice.
I'm not fucking stupid.

it wasn't any sort of a dig at anyone here. Surprisingly, I was using the board to workshop poetry ideas......funny that, you ought to try it sometime.
I think that the fact that you thought it was about Gavin says a lot more about you than it does about me.
What the fuck do you mean by that ??
I haven't forced you into anything.
Hey, I'm not here to cause arguments.
I was simply saying that I felt
re the the crits posted made me feel that this person
was getting verbally abused
getting the piss taken out of him,
and I aught to say something.
Like I said
it were'nt your poem
but I felt like it was an extension of the piss take that was going on.
I know that you weren't aiming this at Gavin
but it obviously struck a chord to me and wound me up enough to comment.

I seriously suggest that you stop trying to drag other people here into your tawdry little arguments

Nash ,
I am neither cheap nor gaudy.
Just trying to stick up for us beginners
who need encouragment and positive feedback from you more experinence posters.

No Suzanne,
I was not saying that this person (Nash ) was taking the piss.

I agree you mods have a tough job,
I couldn't/ wouldn't do it.

clarabow
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Post by clarabow » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 am

This is part of a letter I have pm'd to David - but since there seems to be a back-lash going on, I am just editing this for public consumption. I am moving on, not unusal for me - I think things have got a bit out of hand lately with cause and effect and I feel that mods are sometimes part of the problem not the solvers of, but mistakes happen, PG is a long way from being like "freeforallpoetry" (or poetryfreeforall - can never remember which way round it is)

David....... I think you deal with things in a far more, wise way? ... But when handled badly it does rub off on the site in a negative way. ..... the Mods? I personally would prefer to see an administration that is not involved in the poetics and that way you probably wouldn't have half of the problems. If a poet is also a moderator it seems to me they do have a sort of power - albeit in a small world. The other site I mentioned Freeforallpoetry is absolutely vile, run by this elite who think they are poet gods or something, and they have set themselves up as arbiters of what is acceptable or not, and I hope PG doesn't go the same way. When I echoed Pauline's comment it was in the wider sense of how things seem to be going here. If people like Gavin and Meesha are not acceptable (and need rebuking - then don't do it on a public forum - deal with them privately) . .. As for being a mod - I am aware it does mean responsibility and not abusing the position to further personal interests or to publically get at people you don't care for personally or poetically as on FFAP. If a site doesn't want certain kinds of 'poets' then it needs to become a club and by membership or invite only. But as long as it is "open" to join then it has to deal with all sorts in an appropriate way, but should never publically humiliate as FFAP does, even if some writers are or their work annoying! ............

the only site I have known where there was not a mod in sight was poetry.com workshop - that much maligned vanity site now taken over by Lulu. And although the set up was awful, all those star systems and cut and paste reviews to get them! it did manage to work without mods and the few good poets did find each other and yes, form a clique, just as the like minded cut and paste brigade did. The only problem was the abuse that went on. Generally, the admin. would deal with it effectively and didn't take sides ..... but the problem was the site was so huge they couldn't deal with it all, so the vile stuff just got worse and worse. Well, PG is a long way from that. Anyway David, I probably need to work on the poems I have and leave others to get on or not in the small but important world of 'workshop' poetry! ........ C/

brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by brianedwards » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 am

Well, this workshop was a roaring success I'd say. Anyone care to set up another?

B.

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:23 am

Pauline, yes, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I know that these things happen and have found myself in such situations. You and Nash, I suggest, should smooth out the rest by pm.

Clara, adding more fuel, however well intentioned, certainly isn't going to help either of those men who enjoy living on the edge of social rules. Neither need defending as both dish it out and can take it.

I hope your comments- which are like a hit and run will be responded to off this sestina thread. Good bye and I hope you are more comfortable wherever you post.

I support of Ros, it is a difficult job and though we have not always agreed on how things have been done, I support that she does her best to be as fair as possible. I am sure those two had warnings before interaction was taken. Everyone should assume that.

All temptation to continue this should be steered to begin a new thread in the discussion section.
The sestina thread should be spared. Really. Enough.

Warmly,
Suzanne

Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by Suzanne » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:27 am

Crossed posts, Brian.

I think a sestina is a torturous looking endeavor. Hard work, for sure.

Suzanne

brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Post by brianedwards » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 am

Thread should be locked.

Nash

Post by Nash » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:34 am

brianedwards wrote:Well, this workshop was a roaring success I'd say. Anyone care to set up another?
:lol: Yeah Brian, these sestinas are really difficult I'm not sure that we're ready for them.
pauline5 wrote:I clearly stated that your post was not a pop at Gavin,
Yes, you did. Your following line implied that it was
pauline5 wrote:(by the way I'm not saying that Nash was having a pop at Gavin)
but it seemed to me to be yet another extension of the piss take that I felt was going on

Nash

Post by Nash » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 am

brianedwards wrote:Thread should be locked.
Sorry Brian, cross-posted. You're absolutely right.

Elphin

Post by Elphin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:29 am

Ok - I am locking it.

elph